Lāčplēša gājiens 2016 Karogs pacelšana

Print
Ieteikt Twitter Share Ieteikt Draugiem


--

Area – 167,96 km²

Population – 1945
Distance from Ogre – 40 km
Largest populated places – Madliena, Zādzene, Plātere, Vērene, Vecķeipene
 
Madliena civil parish has been populated since ancient times, castle mounds and ancient cemeteries in the area suggest of this fact. Archaeological findings at the Plātere castle mound date back to the early Iron Age. A strongly fortified Lettigalian castle was once located here. Not far from the castle mound stood the Plātere baronial estate, which was burned down in 1905. Cellars, a brewery, the home of the estate`s master and a few other buildings survived. The Tiesenhausen dynasty ruled the estate from 1752, and the noblemen of the family were known for their liberal attitude to local farmers. In 1867, the family donated land for the construction of Plātere school. Between 1880 and 1884, the school was one of the best in Latvia. One of its early principals, from 1884 until 1889, was Antons Benjamiņš, who later became known as the ``king of the press`` in Latvia. A student and later a teacher at the school was the composer and choir conductor Kārlis Kažociņš. After the World War II Artūrs Mežaks was teaching at school. He had contributed a great deal in the surrounding research of the area. In 1938 he wrote a book ``Madliena-Meņģele congregation in the past and the present``, which today still takes an important cultural and historical part.
 
Another significant estate was Vērene baronial estate. From complex, which was built in 1771, barn is in the best condition. There is also a park near the estate with more than 20 foreign species of plantations and about 4 km long oak tree alley.
 
Madliena was built in the 13th century, when one of the first churches in Latvia was constructed there. The name of the village comes from St. Magdalena, after whom the church was named. A major figure in the Latvian Enlightenment, Garlieb Markel, was confirmed at the Madliena church. He and his mother lived at the local Zādzene baronial estate for a while. The altar of the church was built by a long-time teacher at the Madliena school - Kārlis Fridrihs Hūns. The church is one of the oldest in Latvia. There are many tales and legends surrounding the building process. Poetess Aspazija was inspired by them and wrote the play ``Torņa cēlājs`` (The Builder of the Tower).
 
Madliena local history museum ``Bet tā bija`` (That`s how it was!) is situated in the former Plātere Primary School, which was the first school built from bricks in 1867. Many famous people have worked in the museum, for example, the first magnate Antons Benjāmiņš and the composer Kārlis Kažociņš. There are seven expositions that can be seen regularly.
 
The Ogre River flows through the southern part of the parish, and its largest tributary is the Skola River. It splits up into two smaller tributaries – the Skola River, which flows into the Ogre, and the Abza, which flows into the Mazā Jugla. The parish is home to the largest swamp in Ogre municipality – the Sivenīcas swamp.
 
 
 
 
Significant places and sights
 
 
The Madliena Lutheran church. The roots of the church go as far as to 13th century and is one of the oldest churches in Latvia. The installations were made by Kārlis Hūns and the alter painting was painted by G.Kargins in 1844. The church is an architectural monument of national importance.
 
The Monument in honour of victims of World War I and liberation battles. Located next to Madliena`s cemetery. The monument was made by sculptor Pēteris Banders and was unveiled in 1937.
 
The Plātere castle mound. It can be seen from Madliena-Aderkaši road. It was considered as the geographical centre of Latvia.
 
The Great baronial estate. Built in 18th century, located few kilometres to southwest from Madliena.
 
The Vērene baronial estate. It was built in 1771 and there are few buildings which have preserved from those times.
 
The Vērene`s elm grove. The botanical reserve is located on the left side of the Ogre River and covers 2.5 ha.
 
The fire lookout tower in Vērene. The height of the tower reaches 33 metres.
 
The Madliena local history museum `` Bet tā bija`` (``That`s how it was!``). It is situated in the former Plātere Primary School, which was the first school built from bricks in 1867.
 
The Uženu castle mound. The castle mound rises 11 m above the surrounding area.
 
The Vadoņa (leader`s) grove. It was planted in 1936. Kārlis Ulmanis proposed to plant the birch trees in the grove which later was called ``The Vadoņa grove``.
 
``The Forsteri``. A place where one can enjoy a ride with husky dog cart during winter as well as in summer.
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

Back
Pieteikšanās Ogres novada iedzīvotāja un skolēna kartes saņemšanaiKlientu apkalpošanas centrs