Ziemassvētku rotājumi, Brīvības iela Ziemassvētku rotājumi, Brīvības iela

Print
Ieteikt Twitter Share Ieteikt Draugiem

 

Area – 95,3 km²
Population – 3618
Distance from Ogre – 10 km
Largest populated places – Kārļi, Ciemupe, Lībieškalns
 
Suntaži civil parish is located in the northern part of Ogre municipality and is one of the largest. The name comes from the Livonian language, and the area was populated by Livonian tribes at one time. In 1223, Bishop Albert built a castle here. The castle was ruined during the Northern War, it was restored several times over the next few centuries. The present building currently houses the Suntaži school.
 
The Suntaži Lutheran church was built in 1223. The stone shurch which can be seen today was built in 1782 by the project of Riga construction master Kristof Haberland. The church is one of the symbols of Suntaži village. The church bell is the largest bell between the rural churches in Latvia and its sides decorate the inscription ``When today you hear my voice, do not harden your heart``. Between 1845 and 1847 an Orthodox church was built. It was humble, and in 1909 a newbrick church was put up.
 
The Suntaži baronial estate castle was built in 1780-1782. The legend tells that the castle, built by the order of bishop Albert, had been damaged and rebuilt frequently over the years. After the devastation in 1905 it was rebuilt by the last owner Baron fon Hanenfeld. There is a school in the castle since 1920. There are household buildings and a park in the complex of castle. A beautiful sight of Suntaži can be seen from the tower of the castle.
 
Many significant people have contributed to Latvian history and culture, who lived in the parish. The congregation priest Solomons Guberts wrote the first agricultural handbook ``Stratagema oeconomicum oder der Akker-Student``. Not far from the Mazā Jugla River, at the ``Dēliņi`` homestead near the Kangari hills, the writer Jānis Jaunsudrabiņš spent many summers at the home of his father-in-law. At the ``Gundegas`` homestead, there is a museum for the writer Nikolajs Kalniņš. Photos of the writer and most of his written works can be viewed in the museum, as well as tool collection used in the 19th century farming.
 
The Kangari hills which divide up into the Great Kangari hills (Lielie Kangari) and the Suntažu Kangari hills, remind us of the Ice Age. The Lielie Kangari hills are the largest of their type in Latvia, and they have been an area of national environmental protection since 1957.
 
The Ķoderi castle mound, where an ancient Livonian castle once stood, is located near the ``Dēliņi`` homestead. It is also known as the ``Bed of the Big Man``. The Ķoderi hillfort was Libyan settlement. The legend tells about the giant who was sleeping here, making porrage and walking to Riga to buy some salt.
 
The Mazā Jugla River passes through the parish toward the West. The water is colder than in the Ogre River, because there are many underground streams in the Mazā Jugla.
 
 
 

 

Back
Pieteikšanās Ogres novada iedzīvotāja un skolēna kartes saņemšanaiKlientu apkalpošanas centrs